- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 8 lumpia wrappers
- 3 medium-sized ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups canola oil
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar to dust (optional)
- Peel and cut each bananas into 3 pieces to fit lumpia wrappers. (There will be one extra piece. Save for later or discard.)
- Roll banana pieces in sugar to coat.
- Roll up sugared bananas in lumpia wrappers. Fold over the corners of wrapper and press down firmly to seal.
- Brush with beaten egg to seal edges of wrappers.
- Heat oil in a wok or fryer to 350 to 375° F.
- Place 4 rolls in the hot oil, frying until crisp and golden (approx. 5 to 7 minutes).
- Remove rolls with a spatula or tongs and place on paper towels to drain. Fry remaining banana rolls.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar or caramel sauce if desired. Serve hot.
- Lumpia wrappers are a thin pastry made from flour or cornstarch, eggs and water. Look for them at any Asian grocery store. If unavailable, substitute egg roll wrappers.
- Plantains can be substituted for the bananas if a potassium-restricted diet is not required.
- Limit to only one portion to keep potassium in control if you are restricting potassium. Each turon contains 1/3 of a medium-sized banana which has 140 mg potassium.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 41 g
Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 11 mg
Sodium 60 mg
Potassium 182 mg
Phosphorus 29 mg
Calcium 18 mg
Fiber 1.7 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 fruit, medium potassium
- 1 fat
- 1/2 high calorie
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Tracy from California.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register