- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1-3/4 cups + 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup cranapple juice
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Grease twelve 2-1/2" muffin cups or line with baking cups; set aside.
- To prepare streusel topping, combine 3 tablespoons of the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Cut in 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.
- To prepare muffins, combine remaining flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In another bowl whisk egg, juice and oil together. Pour egg mixture all at once into flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in chopped cranberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Sprinkle streusel topping over muffin batter in cups. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden and a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; serve warm.
- Streusel topping is optional. Adds 2 grams fat and 2 grams carbohydate per muffin.
- Freeze or refrigerate leftover muffins. Heat for 10 to 20 seconds in the microwave before serving.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 29 g
Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 19 mg
Sodium 134 mg
Potassium 45 mg
Phosphorus 48 mg
Calcium 54 mg
Fiber 0.9 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1 fat
Submitted by: Recipe modified from Better Homes and Garden® Cookbook and submitted by Davita Dietitian Bonnie from Texas.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register