- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 fresh jalapeño peppers
1/2 medium cucumber
2 green onions
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
5 ounces canned low sodium, water-packed tuna
- Seed and finely chop jalapeño peppers. Seed and chop cucumber; chop green onions and cilantro.
- In medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, jalapeño pepper and lime juice.
- Stir in drained tuna. Mix well.
- Add cucumber and green onions. Chill until ready to eat.
- Serve a scoop of Southwest Tuna Salad on lettuce or on a bagel or bread of choice. Garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.
Make ahead and chill so flavors blend. You can substitute chicken for tuna, it’s just as yummy.
Analysis includes regular mayonnaise. If regular reduced-fat is used fat equals 14 grams per serving but sodium increases to 293 mg.
Analysis does not include the bun. If the salad is eaten open-faced on a bun as picture, the bun adds 59 calories, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g protein, 21 mg phosphorus, 26 mg potassium and 100 mg of sodium.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 19 g
Carbohydrates 3 g
Fat 23 g
Cholesterol 48 mg
Sodium 214 mg
Potassium 160 mg
Phosphorus 126 mg
Calcium 19 mg
Fiber 1.2 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2-1/2 meat
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
- 2 fat
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Elaine from Arizona.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register