- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/2 cup onion
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 Serrano chili peppers
- 1 medium tomato
- 1-1/2 cups chicken breast, cooked
- 2 corn tortillas, 6” size
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Finely chop onion and cilantro and mince garlic cloves. Thinly slice chili peppers. Cut tomato in half and remove skin and seeds. Shred chicken.
- Cut tortillas into thin strips. Arrange the tortilla strips on a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Bake for 3 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from oven and place onto a plate to cool.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and chili peppers. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add tomato, broth, chicken, salt and bay leaf. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add lime juice and cilantro. Season with black pepper.
- Taste, and add more lime juice if desired.
- Serve with tortilla strips sprinkled on top.
- Twelve unsalted tortilla chips can be substituted for the tortillas. Skip step #2 in preparations.
- Homemade chicken stock contains 30 to 60 mg sodium per cup, if no salt or bouillon is added. No-salt added broth or low-sodium broth contains less than 140 mg sodium per cup. Reduced sodium broth contains 450 to 600 mg sodium per cup.
- If reduced sodium broth is used in this recipe, decrease broth portion to 2 cups, omit the 1/4- teaspoon salt and add 2 cups of water to keep sodium low.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 20 g
Carbohydrates 12 g
Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 32 mg
Sodium 246 mg
Potassium 355 mg
Phosphorus 176 mg
Calcium 47 mg
Fiber 1.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2-1/2 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1/2 starch
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Robin from Virginia.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register