1/4th of recipe
- 2 ounces orzo pasta, uncooked
- 2 ounces quinoa, uncooked
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 cup red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 lemons
- 1-1/2 tablespoons salt-free herb seasoning blend
- 2-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cook orzo and quinoa according to package directions and set aside.
- Mince garlic; dice onion and bell pepper; slice mushrooms.
- Cut chicken into 1" pieces. Place chicken in a zippered plastic bag with juice from 1 lemon and 1 tablespoon of salt-free herb seasoning blend. Mix together and place in the refrigerator.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onion. Sauté until onion is translucent (about 3 to 5 minutes). Add bell pepper and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until peppers are just tender (about 5 to 7 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink inside (about 7 minutes).
- Whisk together remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, juice of 1 lemon and 1/2 tablespoon salt-free herb seasoning blend and add to chicken.
- Stir in cooked orzo, quinoa and sautéed vegetables, and then cook another 3 to 5 minutes until chicken is fully cooked and all ingredients are heated through.
- Divide evenly to make 4 portions.
- Two ounces dry orzo pasta and two ounces dry quinoa yield 1 cup each when cooked.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 24 g
Carbohydrates 27 g
Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 62 mg
Sodium 46 mg
Potassium 595 mg
Phosphorus 298 mg
Calcium 26 mg
Fiber 3.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1-1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Dara from Idaho.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register