1 crab cake
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 pound lump crab meat
- 1 slice white bread
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay® seasoning, 30% less sodium
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In medium bowl, pick through crab meat and remove any shell pieces.
- Cut bread slice into cubes. Chop the parsley.
- Add bread, mayonnaise, mustard, Old Bay® seasoning, parsley, cayenne pepper and egg to the crab. Mix lightly until all ingredients are mixed together. Do not over mix.
- Use a 1/3 cup measure to portion out 6 crab cakes, each 3/4-inch thick. Refrigerate for one hour.
- In a heavy skillet (preferably a cast iron skillet) heat olive oil or cooking spray.
- Fry crab cakes about 5 minutes on each side until browned. Serve hot.
- Paprika can be used instead of Old Bay® seasoning. Sodium is reduced to 360 mg per serving.
- 1/2-cup crushed saltines, unsalted tops, can replace the bread.
- For an attractive presentation serve on a bed of chopped lettuce garnished with mandarin orange slices.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 15 g
Carbohydrates 3 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 105 mg
Sodium 422 mg
Potassium 220 mg
Phosphorus 200 mg
Calcium 82 mg
Fiber 0.2 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Joann from North Carolina.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register