1/6 of pie
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 small onion
- 1 medium bell pepper (red, yellow or orange)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 frozen deep dish pie crust
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Grate the zucchini. Chop the onion, bell pepper and parsley. Bake pie shell as directed on package and allow to cool.
- While pie shell bakes, add 3 teaspoons olive oil to a frying pan and heat on medium high. Add onions and cook until soft, stirring occasionally. Add the bell pepper and zucchini. Continue to
- cook about 10 minutes, stirring to prevent burning. Remove from burner and let mixture cool.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add almond milk, flour, salt and black pepper. Continue to beat until ingredients are incorporated.
- Add cooked vegetables and parsley to the egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the baked pie shell. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Place the pie shell on a baking sheet to prevent spillage. Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes, until quiche is firm in the center.
- Allow to cool and garnish with parsley if desired. Cut into 6 pieces and serve.
- To reduce sodium omit the salt or make homemade pie crust with reduced amount of salt.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days or wrapped and frozen.
- If using dried parsley decrease the amount to 1 teaspoon.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 11 g
Carbohydrates 24 g
Fat 20 g
Cholesterol 190 mg
Sodium 403 mg
Potassium 338 mg
Phosphorus 186 mg
Calcium 125 mg
Fiber 2.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 3 fat
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Cynthia from Maryland.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register