Almost Mashed Potatoes
- CKD non-dialysis
- 6 cups cauliflower
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut cauliflower into pieces and rinse with water.
- Place cauliflower pieces in a microwave safe dish, cover and cook on high for 8 to 10 minutes or until soft.
- Drain off moisture from cooked cauliflower.
- Carefully place hot cauliflower in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add cream cheese, garlic, and pepper. Blend to combine ingredients.
- Remove from blender and serve hot.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 94
- Protein 3 g
- Carbohydrates 6 g
- Fat 7 g
- Cholesterol 19 mg
- Sodium 76 mg
- Potassium 198 mg
- Phosphorus 54 mg
- Calcium 22 mg
- Fiber 3.4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1-1/2 fat
- One medium head cauliflower yields 6 cups.
- Garlic powder may be substituted for the minced garlic.
- Since cauliflower is bland like potatoes, this recipe tastes similar to mashed potatoes. The potassium content is 100 mg lower per serving.
- To reduce fat content, use light cream cheese. Protein, sodium, potassium and phosphorus content will be slightly higher.