- CKD non-dialysis
- 6 large carrots
- 4 large apples
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup apple juice
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Peel and slice carrots and apples. Bring 1 quart of water to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Boil carrots for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain.
Layer carrots and apples in a large casserole dish.
Using a fork, mix flour, brown sugar and nutmeg in a small bowl. Mix in butter to make a crumb topping.
Sprinkle flour mixture over carrots and apples then drizzle with juice.
Bake for 50 minutes or until apples and carrots are tender and topping is golden brown.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 106
- Protein 1 g
- Carbohydrates 16 g
- Fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 10 mg
- Sodium 57 mg
- Potassium 206 mg
- Phosphorus 27 mg
- Calcium 22 mg
- Fiber 2.4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1/2 fat
- Six large carrots will yield 6 cups and 4 large apples will yield 4 cups when peeled and sliced.
- Casserole can be assembled ahead of time and refrigerated. Heat when ready to eat.
- Replace brown sugar with Splenda® sweetener if lower carbohydrate content desired.