Southern-Style Collard Greens
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 turkey wing
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 pound collard greens
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large pot, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add turkey wing. Reduce heat and cook for about 1 hour. Set aside.
- Chop onion, garlic and collard greens.
- In another large pot, heat oil and butter on medium heat.
- Add onion and saute for 2 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook 1 minute.
- Add collard greens and cook 1 minute.
- Add enough turkey stock to cover greens (about 4 cups) and salt and bring to a simmer.
- Cook until greens are tender, about 40 to 50 minutes.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 74
- Protein 3 g
- Carbohydrates 3 g
- Fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 4 mg
- Sodium 99 mg
- Potassium 147 mg
- Phosphorus 16 mg
- Calcium 87 mg
- Fiber 2.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 fat
- Most greens get a bad rap for being high in potassium when actually it is the portion consumed that makes the difference. Many people eat more than 1/2 cup. Stay within the suggested portion to keep potassium down.
- To include turkey meat as an entrée, cook several turkey wings or legs. Remove and discard skin from the cooked turkey and add the meat to the collard greens if desired. Nutrient analysis includes turkey stock but does not include meat from the turkey wing.