Summer Squash with Pineapple and Peppers
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2-1/2 cups crookneck squash
- 2-1/2 cups zucchini squash
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper
- 8 ounces unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cut squash into 1-inch cubes. Dice bell pepper into small pieces.
- Placed cubed squash in a slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix the green bell pepper, pineapple with juice, cinnamon, brown sugar and melted butter.
- Spoon over squash and mix well.
- Cover squash and cook on low heat setting for 6-7 hours or until squash is tender.
- Stir gently to mix before serving.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 66
- Protein 1 g
- Carbohydrates 13 g
- Fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 3 mg
- Sodium 18 mg
- Potassium 283 mg
- Phosphorus 38 mg
- Calcium 24 mg
- Fiber 1.4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
- People with diabetes may use Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend. Reduce the portion to 2-1/2 tablespoons to reduce carbohydrate to 8 grams per serving.
- Cook on high heat setting for 4 to 5 hours if quicker cooking time desired.