Chicken Pot Pie
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 12 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled, diced small
- 1-1/2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 12 ounces farfelle pasta
In a large saucepan, place chicken, water and seasonings. Heat to boiling.
Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
Place diced potatoes in a large pot of room temperature water and bring to a boil. remove from heat, drain water and add fresh room temperature water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Skim fat from broth.
Add carrots, celery and onion to broth and heat to boiling. Cook for 5 minutes.
Stir in boiled potatoes, parsley and bows and boil 14 minutes or until bows are tender.
Cut chicken into pieces and stir into pot pie mixture; heat through and serve.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 335
- Protein 32 g
- Carbohydrates 42 g
- Fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 70 mg
- Sodium 118 mg
- Potassium 521 mg
- Phosphorus 290 mg
- Calcium 59 mg
- Fiber 3.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3-1/2 meat
- 2 starch
- 2 vegetable, low and medium potassium
- Farfelle pasta is also known as pot pie bows.
- The potatoes are double cooked to remove part of the potassium. If you are not on a low potassium diet you can skip this step.
- Freeze leftovers in individual portions for a quick meal later.
- You can reduce the chicken to 1 pound if you are on a lower protein diet.