5 Kidney-Friendly Snacks to Keep on Hand
Stash these snacks in your pocket, backpack or desk so you’re armed and ready when hunger strikes.
1. Fruit: apples, grapes, tangerines or strawberries; dried cranberries or blueberries; or packaged fruit cups with diced peaches, pears, pineapple, mandarin oranges or mixed fruit
2. Package of low- or no-sodium microwave popcorn
3. Low-sodium crackers, pita chips or unsalted pretzels
4. Small can or pouch of tuna or chicken and individual-serving packages of mayonnaise
5. Kidney-friendly nutrition bars or liquid supplements, such as the ones from Balance, ZonePerfect and PowerBar, if they meet these general guidelines*:
- Protein: 15 g or more
- Potassium: 200 mg or less
- Phosphorus: 150 mg or less
- Sodium: 300 mg or less
* Check with your dietitian before adding nutrition bars or supplements to your diet
For more kidney-friendly diet tips and delicious recipes, download a free Today's Kidney Diet cookbook.