5 Daily To-Dos to Help Feel Your Best While Sheltering at Home
If you’re feeling the effects of social isolation due to shelter-at-home/stay-at-home orders, you’re not alone. Many of us miss the energy and connectedness our everyday routines and social activities provide us. Fortunately, there are simple ways you can help boost your mood and energy level during this unusual time.
- Take a shower and get dressed. Even if you’re not leaving home, showering and dressing may help you feel refreshed and “put together” and provide a sense of normalcy.
- Vary where you spend your time at home. Mix up where you work, hang out, workout, etc. This may breathe new life into everyday activities by experiencing them in another environment—even if it’s just down the hall.
- Get outside and/or open a window. Fresh air can give you an instant lift and relieve some of that “cooped-up” feeling. If you can get outside and move (even a simple walk around the block), you’ll double up on the benefits of fresh air and exercise.
- Eat nutritious meals and snacks. It’s no surprise, but good nutrition is key to feeling your best—physically and mentally. Try some of our kidney-friendly recipes to support both your kidney and overall health.
- Do a daily feel-good activity. Tap into simple pleasures you’ve maybe forgotten and/or explore new ones. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
• Do jigsaw, crossword or other puzzles.
• Read books or magazines.
• Play cards or board games.
• Call or write friends or loved ones.
• Watch something funny or interesting.
• Walk, stretch or exercise if you feel up to it.
• Meditate or pray.
During challenging times, we are here to help. If you are a DaVita dialysis patient, please reach out to your social worker for more tips and additional support. You can find more information about coping with COVID-19 here.
This article is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice from a medical provider.
Please check with a medical professional if you need a diagnosis and/or for treatments as well as information regarding your specific condition. In case of emergency, call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest emergency department.
Take a Deeper Look at Education
Boost your knowledge by understanding the symptoms, risk factors and stages of kidney disease.
Life with Kidney Disease
Find out how you can partner with your nephrologist, gain emotional support and continue to live well after a kidney disease diagnosis.
From kidney disease basics to treatment options and patient stories, watch videos that will help you learn more about kidney disease.