Kidney Smart FAQs
- What can I expect to learn in a class?
You will learn the following topics:
- How kidneys function and what causes kidney disease
- How diet and nutrition can affect kidney disease
- What health changes can be made to take control of kidney disease
- Why employment and the right insurance coverage are important
- Which treatment options are available, from in-center and home dialysis to transplant
- How long are classes?
In-person classes and instructor-led online classes are typically 90 minutes. The online self-paced class takes about 45-60 minutes depending on how quickly you go through the material.
- Who leads Kidney Smart classes?
In-person classes and instructor-led online classes are taught by expert kidney educators who can help answer your questions about kidney health.
- What if I can’t make it to an in-person class? Can classes be taken online?
Yes. Kidney Smart offers no-cost kidney education classes that fit different schedules and can be taken from the comfort of home. Take an instructor-led online class that is available on a variety of dates and times that fit any lifestyle. Find online classes.
- Can loved ones attend these classes as well?
Yes. We encourage anyone in your life who is interested in supporting your kidney health journey to take a class and ask questions.
More than 175,000 people have taken the next step in kidney education by attending a Kidney Smart class.
Are you ready to take the next step?
Take a Deeper Look at Education
Boost your knowledge by understanding the symptoms, risk factors and stages of kidney disease.
Life with Kidney Disease
Find out how you can partner with your nephrologist, gain emotional support and continue to live well after a kidney disease diagnosis.
From kidney disease basics to treatment options and patient stories, watch videos that will help you learn more about kidney disease.