Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast Casserole
1/12th of casserole
- CKD non-dialysis
- 12 slices Texas toast-style bread
- 12 ounces cold cream cheese
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 9 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half & half creamer
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 drops red food coloring (optional)
- Generously coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cube the bread and cream cheese. Slice the strawberries and separate into two 1-cup portions, setting one portion aside. Place half of the bread cubes in the prepared dish. Layer the cream cheese cubes over the top of the bread. Layer 1 cup of sliced strawberries over the cream cheese and top with remaining bread cubes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, half & half and maple syrup until well combined. Pour mixture evenly over the bread cubes.
- Press bread gently with the back of a spoon to moisten bread completely. Cover and chill at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.
- Bake the casserole uncovered until puffed, golden brown, and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Prepare the sauce while the casserole is cooking. In a small bowl, toss the remaining 1 cup of strawberries and sugar. Let stand for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then pour the mixture into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the strawberry sauce to a small saucepan. Add butter and simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add food coloring (optional).
- Remove the casserole from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Cut into 12 servings and serve with warm strawberry sauce.
- Look for Texas toast bread that is sliced thick, about 40 grams per serving. Choose the brand lowest in sodium and without phosphate additives if available.
- If you would like to replace the strawberries with a different berries, raspberries or blueberries are a good alternative. Or you can used mixed berries.
- For a lower carbohydrate serving cut the casserole into 15 servings (35 grams carbohydrate).
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Lisa G. from New York.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 11 g
Carbohydrates 44 g
Fat 19 g
Cholesterol 180 mg
Sodium 358 mg
Potassium 241 mg
Phosphorus 179 mg
Calcium 152 mg
Fiber 1.6 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1-1/2 starch
- 2 fat
- 1 high-calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register