Chicken Enchiladas with Green Sauce
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 cups Salsa Verde (see DaVita.com recipe)
- 6 Flour Tortillas, 6-inch (see DaVita.com recipe)
- 8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- Prepare Salsa Verde and Flour Tortillas per DaVita.com recipes.
- In a large pot, place chicken breast, broth and garlic cloves. Poach chicken for 30 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Remove chicken from pot and in a separate container shred chicken using 2 forks. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place Salsa Verde in a shallow frying pan and heat on low heat.
- In a separate pan, heat tortillas and transfer into the frying pan. Drench tortillas in salsa one by one; set aside
- Once all tortillas have been drenched, start assembling the enchiladas by stuffing with chicken and cheese and rolling them so that the seam side is down in the baking dish. (Divide the
- chicken and cheese equally between the 6 tortillas.) Pour the remaining Salsa Verde over top of enchiladas. Cover dish with foil and heat in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Top each enchilada with 1 tablespoon sour cream. Enjoy!
- For added flavor top enchiladas with chopped onions or cilantro.
- Commercially prepared salsa verde and flour tortillas may be substituted, but sodium will be higher. Look for the lowest sodium brands.
- Most flour tortillas are high in sodium. Lower sodium brands include Tortilla Land® Fresh Ready-to-Cook Tortillas (210 mg sodium), La Banderita® Low Sodium Tortillas (85 mg sodium).
- To add extra protein, prepare a large egg and serve over top, inside or on side of enchilada.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Rebecca from California
Nutrients per serving
Protein 16 g
Carbohydrates 20 g
Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 50 mg
Sodium 270 mg
Potassium 306 mg
Phosphorus 205 mg
Calcium 128 mg
Fiber 1.3 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 1 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register