Crock-Pot® Oriental Chicken
chicken breast, 1/2-cup vegetables and 1/2-cup rice
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 green onions
- 4 celery stalks
- 1 garlic clove
- 8 ounces canned bamboo shoots
- 8 ounces canned water chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- Slice the carrots, green onions and celery. Crush the garlic. Rinse and slice the bamboo shoots and water chestnuts.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and brown chicken on all sides.
- Transfer chicken to a Crock-Pot®.
- Add all ingredients except the cornstarch and water. Stir, then cover and cook on low heat setting for 6 to 8 hours.
- Turn Crock-Pot to high. Combine cornstarch and cold water, stirring until smooth, then stir into the Crock-Pot liquid. Position Crock-Pot lid ajar to allow steam to escape. Cook on high until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Serve chicken and vegetables over rice.
- Adjust portion size to 1/2 chicken breast for a lower protein eating plan.
- Serve over white or brown rice.
Submitted by: Recipe modified from SouthernFood.About.com and submitted by DaVita renal dietitian Angie from Indiana.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 32 g
Carbohydrates 40 g
Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 73 mg
Sodium 521 mg
Potassium 525 mg
Phosphorus 287 mg
Calcium 47 mg
Fiber 3.6 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 4 meat
- 2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 2 starch
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register