2/3 cup egg salad + 1 pita
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash of paprika
- 4 whole wheat pitas, 4-inch size
- 4 butterhead lettuce leaves
- Cover the eggs with water in medium saucepan. Once the water is boiling, cover and turn the heat off.
- Drain the eggs after 10 minutes. Cover with ice and water until cooled.
- Peel the eggs and chop or grate to desired consistency. Chop the onion and dill weed.
- In a medium bowl mix all the ingredients together until well blended.
- Chill at least one hour in the refrigerator before serving.
- Cut pitas in half and place 1/3 cup egg salad and 1/2 lettuce leaf in each pita half.
- For additional protein, Greek yogurt may be used in place of sour cream.
- If fresh dill weed is unavailable substitute with 1 teaspoon dried dill weed.
- If small pitas are not available serve with 1/2 of a large (6-1/2-inch) pita.
- Serve on a lettuce leaf or with 6 low sodium crackers instead of pita if desired.
- Keep this salad cold in an insulated bag if transporting to eat away from home.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 19 g
Carbohydrates 19 g
Fat 18 g
Cholesterol 380 mg
Sodium 460 mg
Potassium 280 mg
Phosphorus 298 mg
Calcium 103 mg
Fiber 2 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 starch
- 1-1/2 fat
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Vicky from Illinois.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register