1/4 of the bowl of tuna (approximately 3/4 cup)
- CKD non-dialysis
- 15 ounces canned unsalted tuna, packed in water
- 1/2 large apple
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/2 small onion
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Drain tuna and finely chop apple, celery and onion.
- Mix tuna, apple, celery, onion, mayonnaise, black pepper and salt in a medium bowl.
- Serve on top of bed of lettuce, with unsalted crackers or make a sandwich.
- Adjust portion if you are on a lower protein diet. Ask your dietitian to recommend the correct portion for your individual needs.
- The juices from the fruit and vegetables will maintain moisture in the tuna salad.
- If you’d like to munch something crunchy, try Matilde’s Tuna Salad with celery sticks or lightly steamed green beans.
- Sodium is 121 mg per serving if salt is omitted.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 27 g
Carbohydrates 3 g
Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 36 mg
Sodium 188 mg
Potassium 318 mg
Phosphorus 183 mg
Calcium 20 mg
Fiber 0.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 4 meat
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Matilde from Texas.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register