Chilled Summer Squash and Turmeric Soup
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 medium zucchini squash
- 2 medium yellow crookneck squash
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- Chop the zucchini, yellow squash and onion into large pieces.
- In a saucepan bring the broth to a boil, then reduce heat to medium.
- Stir in the zucchini, yellow squash and onion; simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the green peas, oil and salt; simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from the heat and let the soup cool to room temperature.
- Use a blender to combine ingredients into a smooth consistency. Stir in the Greek yogurt and turmeric.
- Refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight before serving chilled soup.
- Try one of these items for additional seasoning: lemon juice, sriracha hot chili sauce, hot sauce, mint leaves, chives or cumin.
- Look for frozen green peas that are unseasoned or substitute fresh green peas.
- If available use an immersion blender to easily blend the soup in the saucepan.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Sarah from Maryland
Nutrients per serving
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 10 g
Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 1 mg
Sodium 279 mg
Potassium 504 mg
Phosphorus 138 mg
Calcium 60 mg
Fiber 2.8 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register