1 cup tofu and vegetables + 1/2 cup rice
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1-1/2 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1-1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® herb seasoning blend
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 cups steamed white rice
- Cut tofu into cubes. Cut bell pepper into strips and chop garlic clove.
- Mix reduced-sodium soy sauce, lime juice and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In three separate bowls, put cornstarch, egg whites and bread crumbs. Dip tofu cubes first in cornstarch, then egg whites and coat with bread crumbs.
- Heat canola oil in a skillet or wok and stir fry coated tofu until golden brown and crunchy. Remove tofu from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add sesame oil. and heat. Stir fry broccoli and red bell pepper strips until crisp tender. Add chopped garlic, Mrs. Dash seasoning blend, black pepper and cayenne pepper and cook one minute.
- Add tofu back to pan and toss with vegetables. Pour soy-lime juice mixture over top, sprinkle with sesame seeds and stir. Remove from heat and divide into 4 portions.Serve with 1/2 cup rice.
- Substitute olive oil for sesame oil if desired.
- You can freeze cubed tofu to thaw and stir fry later. Freezing gives tofu a firmer, "meatier" texture.
- Use your favorite salt-free seasoning. Tip: Penzey's Spices®, Mrs. Dash® and Tone's® make a variety of excellent salt-free seasonings. Avoid salt substitutes that contain potassium chloride due to high potassium content.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 19 g
Carbohydrates 45 g
Fat 16 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 584 mg
Potassium 317 mg
Phosphorus 177 mg
Calcium 253 mg
Fiber 2.7 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 2-1/2 starch
- 1-1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Jean from Iowa.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register