- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 20 ounces canned hominy
- 1 slice bacon
- 1 tablespoon onion
- 1 tablespoon green pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 to 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Open hominy and drain in a colander for 2 minutes. Rinse under running water for 30 seconds, then drain for an additional 2 minutes. This reduces sodium by 30-40%.
- Fry bacon. Remove from pan, but keep pan with drippings. When bacon cools, crumble.
- Chop onion and green pepper and add to bacon drippings.
- Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Add 1/3 cup water and stir until well blended.
- Add hominy and mix well. If necessary, add more water. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add Parmesan cheese and black pepper.
- Serve warm, topped with bacon pieces.
- Purchase low-sodium hominy if available and skip step #1. Regular hominy is high in sodium. If hominy is not rinsed and drained the recipe provides 344 mg sodium per serving.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Katherine from Alabama.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 22 g
Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 4 mg
Sodium 370 mg
Potassium 41 mg
Phosphorus 72 mg
Calcium 28 mg
Fiber 3.7 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
- 1/2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register