- 1/2 cup carrot
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1/2 cup onion
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless short ribs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Chop carrot, celery and onion.
- Trim fat from ribs. Combine 1/2 cup flour and pepper. Roll short ribs in flour to coat.
- Heat 1-1/2 tablespoons oil in a skillet, and brown ribs on all sides.
- Place ribs in a roasting pan and roast uncovered for 45 minutes. Carefully pour off extra fat.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large pot and sauté chopped vegetables until soft.
- Add roasted short ribs and beef broth. Cover and simmer 2 hours or until ribs are tender.
- To make gravy, brown 2 tablespoons flour in 1 tablespoon oil. Add 1 cup of the meat liquid and stir over medium heat until thickened. Serve 2 tablespoons of gravy with each serving of short ribs.
- Look for reduced sodium broth containing 500 milligrams sodium or less per 1 cup serving. Avoid low sodium broths and bouillons containing potassium chloride—it’s very high in potassium.
- Braised means to cook covered in a small amount of liquid, usually after browning the meat to help develop color and flavor.
- For CKD non-dialysis: This higher protein recipe may be appropriate for your diet if the portion size is adjusted to reduce protein content. Adjustments should be based on your individual protein prescription. Check with your dietitian if you are unsure.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 28 g
Carbohydrates 5 g
Fat 21 g
Cholesterol 79 mg
Sodium 189 mg
Potassium 359 mg
Phosphorus 223 mg
Calcium 19 mg
Fiber 0.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3-1/2 meat
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
- 1 fat
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Cissy from California.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register