5 meatballs and 1 cup eggplant
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- Higher Potassium
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt-free lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® seasoning blend
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- Peel and crush garlic clove. Chop green pepper and finely dice onion. Peel eggplant, slice lengthwise and cut into pieces.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil and sauté crushed garlic and green pepper. Remove and set aside.
- In the same oil, sauté eggplant on both sides until browned. Remove and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix ground beef with onion and spices. Make 30 small meatballs.
- Brown meatballs (without using oil) at low temperature in the nonstick skillet.
- Add sautéed eggplant, garlic, bell pepper, crushed stewed tomatoes and water to meatballs. Let simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- 2 medium eggplants yield 8 cups.
- Substitute ground turkey for beef if desired.
- Serve this meal with pita, lavash or tortilla bread and a small bowl of iceberg lettuce salad with olive oil and lemon juice dressing.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 17 g
Carbohydrates 12 g
Fat 20 g
Cholesterol 49 mg
Sodium 150 mg
Potassium 643 mg
Phosphorus 183 mg
Calcium 43 mg
Fiber 4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 2 fat
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Zohreh from California.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register