- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 pounds pork ribs
- 18 ounces root beer
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- Place one layer of pork ribs in an oval slow cooker. Mince the garlic. Sprinkle garlic and 1 teaspoon onion powder over the ribs.
- Place a second layer of ribs on top of first layer. Sprinkle with the remaining onion powder.
- Pour root beer over ribs to cover.
- Turn slow cooker on low setting and cook for 8-12 hours until ribs are tender.
- Adjust root beer to cover meat but do not fill slow cooker more than 2/3 full.
- Read ingredients and select a root beer that does not contain phosphate additives.
- Instead of ribs you can substitute a Boston butt or pork shoulder roast. Sprinkle garlic and onion powder on meat and cover completely with root beer before cooking in slow cooker. Shred cooked meat.
- Serve ribs or roast with coleslaw and rolls
Nutrients per serving
Protein 16 g
Carbohydrates 11 g
Fat 14 g
Cholesterol 59 mg
Sodium 83 mg
Potassium 180 mg
Phosphorus 120 mg
Calcium 41 mg
Fiber 0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 fat
- 1/2 high-calorie
Submitted by: Recipe provided by DaVita patient Deb and submitted by DaVita dietitian Tammy from North Carolina.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register