- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1/4 cup carrot
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1/4 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 15-ounce package (2 crusts) rolled, refrigerated, unbaked pie crust
- 1 egg white
- 8 teaspoons ketchup
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Let pie crust stand at room temperature according to package directions.
- Dice carrot and chop onion.
- Brown ground sirloin in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain and set aside.
- Place carrot in a microwave dish. Add 1 tablespoon water; cover and cook on high for 2 minutes. Add frozen corn, and peas; microwave for 2 minutes. Drain.
- To make filling, combine meat, vegetables, onion, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and thyme in a bowl.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pie crusts. Cut each pie crust into four pieces.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the filling onto half of each piece of piecrust. Lightly moisten pie crust edges with a small amount of milk or egg white.
- Fold other half of pie crust over filling. Seal edges by crimping with a fork. Cut slits in the top of the pastries. Brush top with egg white. Place on a large, ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool slightly on wire racks.
- Serve each pastie with 1 teaspoon ketchup.
- Wrap and freeze extra pasties for a quick meal later. Reheat in the oven or microwave.
- For variety substitute ground turkey or chicken for beef.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 11 g
Carbohydrates 28 g
Fat 22 g
Cholesterol 40 mg
Sodium 382 mg
Potassium 214 mg
Phosphorus 72 mg
Calcium 12 mg
Fiber 0.7 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 1-1/2 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
- 2-1/2 fat
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Shelli from Michigan.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
12 muffins SERVINGS
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register