- CKD non-dialysis
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whey protein powder
- Preheat oven to 300˚ F. Separate the eggs, setting aside the yolks for later.
- With a stand or hand mixer whip the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks are formed. Set aside.
- Mix the egg yolks in a bowl with the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Using a small amount of egg whites gently fold into the yolk mixture a little at a time until it is well mixed. Continue to add remaining egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cloud bread to cool. Remove from the pan and slice. Store in the refrigerator.
- Look for a brand of protein powder that has the lowest amount of phosphorus and potassium. Your renal dietitian may give you tips on brands available in your area.
- This recipe used vanilla protein powder. Use other flavors or unflavored protein powder as desired.
- For a savory flavor add garlic powder, onion powder or both.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 6 g
Carbohydrates 2 g
Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 108 mg
Sodium 98 mg
Potassium 91 mg
Phosphorus 72 mg
Calcium 47 mg
Fiber 0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Lisa B. from New York.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
24 servings SERVINGS
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register