- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1-1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice or apple juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Cut each cranberry in half and reserve.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease a loaf pan and line with waxed paper. Grease wax paper. Set aside.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the juice, orange zest, melted margarine and beaten egg. Add to the flour mixture and stir just until flour is combined.
- Mix in the cranberries and walnuts. Stir in hot water.
- Place batter in a prepared loaf pan and bake 1 hour and 10 minutes. Test by poking a toothpick into bread; if it comes out clean the bread is done.
- Cool loaf in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and cool on a wire rack. Cut into 10 slices.
- Nuts are high in potassium and phosphorus but may be included in small amounts. The 1/4 cup walnuts in this recipe provides 15 mg potassium and 9 mg phosphorus per slice.
- To reduce carbohydrate and calories, substitute 1/2 cup Splenda© sugar blend for baking for the 1 cup of sugar. Carbohydrate is reduced to 25 grams and calories are reduced to 160.
- Make an extra loaf and freeze for later.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 40 g
Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 21 mg
Sodium 143 mg
Potassium 85 mg
Phosphorus 58 mg
Calcium 42 mg
Fiber 1.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
- 1 fat
- 1 high calorie
Submitted by: Recipe from "Cooking for David: A Culinary Dialysis Cookbook" by Sara Colman RD, CDE and Dorothy Gordon BS, RN. Submitted by DaVita dietitian Sara from California.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register