Lower-Phosphorus Flour Tortillas
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 3 cups all-purpose white flour
- 2 teaspoons Homemade Phosphorus-Free Baking Powder (Recipe in Sauces and seasonings section of DaVita.com)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup hot water
- Combine flour, phosphorus-free baking powder and salt.
- Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly.
- Add 3/4 cup hot water, and stir until ingredients look moist.
- Mix and knead to a soft dough. (You may need to sprinkle in another 1 to 2 tablespoons of flour).
- Cover dough with a towel and let rest 1 hour.
- Cut into 12 pieces.
- Lightly roll into a 6” to 7” tortilla, or put in a tortilla press, to 1/8” thickness.
- Cook on a hot iron skillet for 30 to 60 seconds per side until no longer doughy and brown spots begin to appear.
- Cream of tartar is the potassium acid salt of tartaric acid, which is a by-product of wine making. One teaspoon contains 495 mg potassium. When using cream of tartar with baking soda to replace phosphorus-containing baking powder, be aware the potassium content of food will be higher but phosphorus is much lower.
- Since the potassium in a tortilla made with low phosphorus baking powder is higher than regular tortillas, be sure to limit portion and other potassium sources if you are on a low-potassium diet.
Tortilla made with low cream of tartar-based leavening
Tortilla made with regular phosphorus- based baking powder
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Mary L. from Kansas
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 24 g
Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 116 mg
Potassium 89 mg
Phosphorus 34 mg
Calcium 5 mg
Fiber 0.8 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 starch
- 2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register