Classic Eggs Benedict
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 4 ounces Canadian bacon, sliced
- 3 cups water (divided use)
- 2 English muffins
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- dash of cayenne pepper
- dash of paprika
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- De-mineralize the Canadian bacon by placing in 2 cups of boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Remove with slotted spoon and set on top of several paper towels to absorb the moisture. Slice English muffins in half and toast them.
- Cut Canadian bacon in half and place on top of each toasted muffin half.
- Combine vinegar with approximately one cup water in a large skillet. Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Break eggs one at a time and slip into the water to poach the eggs. Cover and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until eggs are at desired doneness.
- Remove eggs with slotted spoon and place on top of bacon and English muffin; cover and keep warm.
- Melt butter.
- Beat egg yolks over very light heat.
- Quickly add in melted butter, paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Beat in lemon juice until thick.
- Remove from heat and pour on top of English muffins.
- De-mineralizing the Canadian bacon should remove up to 50% of the phosphorus and up to 80% of the sodium and potassium.
- Garnish with fresh pineapple slices, strawberries and/or blueberries if desired.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Dena from Texas.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 16 g
Carbohydrates 14 g
Fat 35 g
Cholesterol 447 mg
Sodium 346 mg
Potassium 174 mg
Phosphorus 214 mg
Calcium 105 mg
Fiber 1.05 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 starch
- 5 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register