Chicken Pesto Pasta
- 10 ounces penne pasta
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 small onion
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, omitting salt. Drain and set aside.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Dice the onion and bell peppers. Mince the garlic cloves.
- In a large skillet sauté the onion and bell peppers in 1 tablespoon olive oil until soft. Add additional tablespoon olive oil, garlic and chicken pieces and cook until chicken is done about 5 to 7
- Turn the heat down to low and add cooked pasta, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Add the pesto, stir and heat before serving.
- Substitute whole wheat pasta to boost the fiber content.
- Replace chicken with turkey or shrimp for a tasty variation.
- For a lower protein diet decrease the chicken to 12 ounces (17 grams protein per serving).
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Amie from Minnesota.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 25 g
Carbohydrates 33 g
Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 59 mg
Sodium 322 mg
Potassium 450 mg
Phosphorus 257 mg
Calcium 40 mg
Fiber 2.9 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2-1/2 meat
- 2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register