Slow Rotisserie-Style Chicken
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large-size oven roasting bag
- 1 large onion
- 3-pound whole chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Shake flour into roasting bag.
- Slice the onion. Put half the onion slices in the chicken cavity.
- Place the bag in a roasting pan and add remaining onion slices. Place the chicken on top of the onion.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Close the bag according to package directions and slit the bag in 6 places.
- Bake for 2 hours or until thermometer reads 165° F.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes; carefully open bag. Remove contents to a serving dish and pour sauce from bag into a gravy bowl.
- Instead of poultry season try a tablespoon of combined fresh thyme, oregano, marjoram, or several sprigs rosemary. If using fresh herbs place some in the cavity and some between the skin of the chicken and the breast meat.
- Add peeled carrots and celery to bag, if desired.
- The whole fresh or frozen chicken does not have phosphate additives frequently found in store-roasted chicken.
- For a lower or higher protein diet adjust the portion to match your meal plan.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Ann from Maryland.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 22 g
Carbohydrates 4 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 64 mg
Sodium 132 mg
Potassium 243 mg
Phosphorus 175 mg
Calcium 20 mg
Fiber 0.6 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register