Green Pesto Pasta
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 6 ounces whole wheat spaghetti, uncooked
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring water to a boil and cook pasta as directed, without salt. Drain.
- Place basil leaves, garlic and Parmesan cheese in a food processor and pulse to chop. Gradually stream olive oil into the basil mixture and continue to pulse the mixture, scraping the sides of the processor as needed.
- Add pepper to taste.
- Pour basil pesto sauce onto the pasta and toss to coat evenly before serving.
- If pasta is done before pesto is ready, keep pasta warm by covering the pasta pot with a lid after draining water.
- Serve with grilled or broiled chicken or shrimp and a salad or cooked vegetable for a full meal.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Barbara from Texas.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 8 g
Carbohydrates 34 g
Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 2 mg
Sodium 47 mg
Potassium 170 mg
Phosphorus 145 mg
Calcium 92 mg
Fiber 5.5 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 starch
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
- 2-1/2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register