Italian Chicken Salad
Approximately 1-1/4 cups, plus 1/2 cup arugula or romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 6 sprigs Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked
- 1 red or orange bell pepper
- 1/4 cup sweet onion
- 2 cups grilled summer squash
- 2 cups baby arugula
- Snip 2 parsley sprigs into small pieces. Chop bell pepper; finely chop onion. Slice grilled squash into half moons.
- Mix mayonnaise, lemon juice, snipped parsley and cayenne pepper (optional) in a mixing bowl.
- Chop chicken into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Add chopped chicken, pepper, onion and squash to the mayonnaise and toss to coat.
- Chill at least one hour to allow flavors to blend.
- Serve over 1/2 cup of baby arugula or baby romaine lettuce. Garnish with remaining 4 parsley sprigs.
- Feel free to experiment with different combinations of herbs such as basil, rosemary, thyme, savory, oregano, etc., depending upon your personal tastes and availability and costs.
- If you are following a lower protein diet reduce chicken portion to half or to the amount recommended by your dietitian.
- Substitute cooked, diced chicken breast for the Chicken in Rosemary-Garlic Sauce if you did not prepare the recipe.
- Replace arugula with baby romaine lettuce if preferred.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Anne from Pennsylvania.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 30 g
Carbohydrates 10 g
Fat 29 g
Cholesterol 80 mg
Sodium 256 mg
Potassium 670 mg
Phosphorus 270 mg
Calcium 66 mg
Fiber 2.2 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 4 meat
- 2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register