A-maze-ing Bean Dip
- CKD non-dialysis
1-1/2" x 1-1/2" square
- 1/2 large red onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 2-1/2 cups white hominy, canned or fresh cooked
- 1 cup pinto beans, fresh cooked
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 12 ounces reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 lime
- Chop onion, bell peppers and cilantro.
- Blend the following ingredients in a food processor: hominy, pinto beans, low-fat cream cheese, olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic, cumin and optional chili powder. Spread into a 9" x 9" pan.
- Using a spatula, layer sour cream over bean mixture.
- Lightly sauté in a skillet: red onion, green and red bell peppers and 1 clove of garlic. Avoid overcooking so that peppers are firm, not mushy.
- Squeeze lime over the sautéed bell pepper and onion mixture for extra flavor and then drain excess liquid.
- Spoon bell pepper mixture on top of sour cream and smooth until dip is covered.