Cranberry Nut Bread
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1-1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice or apple juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons melted margarine
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Cut each cranberry in half and reserve.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a loaf pan and line with waxed paper. Grease wax paper. Set aside.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix juice, orange zest, melted margarine and beaten egg. Add to the flour mixture and stir just until flour is combined.
- Mix in cranberries and walnuts. Stir in hot water.
- Place in prepared loaf pan and bake 1 hour and 10 minutes. Test by poking a toothpick into bread; If it comes out clean the bread is done.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes then remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into 10 slices.