Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces pizza sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Mix ground chicken, egg, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons pizza sauce and spices in a bowl.
- Shape into 30 small meatballs, about the size of a ping-pong ball; place meatballs onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Spread thin layer of pizza sauce in bottom of glass baking dish. Place meatballs in glass baking dish. Pour remaining pizza sauce on top of meatballs then add shredded mozzarella.
- Place back in oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Ground turkey or ground beef or ground pork can be substituted for ground chicken.
- Serve as an appetizer or as a main dish with pasta of choice.
- Make tasty meatball sandwiches using Italian or French roll or rustic white bread.
- The cheese in this recipe provides less than 1 tablespoon per serving.
- Pizza sauce provides 1-2/3 tablespoons per serving. Compare brands and select the lowest sodium product.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Andi from Ohio.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 11 g
Carbohydrates 4 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 64 mg
Sodium 223 mg
Potassium 350 mg
Phosphorus 132 mg
Calcium 59 mg
Fiber 0.5 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register