1 piece of chicken, approximately 3 ounces
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 pound chicken thighs, bone in, with skin
- 1/4 cup canola
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- Rinse chicken under cold water, pat dry with paper towel, and place chicken pieces skin-side-down in a 2-quart baking dish, Pyrex® bowl or other oven-safe cookware.
- Pour oil and lemon juice into a 16-ounce container (with a tight-fitting lid) and shake to mix.
- Mix black pepper, garlic powder and rosemary flakes together, reserving two teaspoons for later use. Add remaining spices to lemon/oil mixture, and shake until blended.
- Sprinkle one teaspoon of the reserved spices over the chicken, cover and marinate overnight or at least 8 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Uncover chicken and bake in oven for 25 minutes. (Leave chicken in the marinade.)
- Remove from oven and turn chicken so that skin side is up. Sprinkle with remaining teaspoon of the spice mixture.
- Bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken pieces are no longer pink inside.
- Pour some of the remaining liquid over chicken when serving.
- Use chicken breasts or a combination of breasts and thighs if desired.
- Season with garlic powder and rosemary to your personal taste. Amounts are suggestions only.
- Use 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary instead of dried if available.
- The longer the dish marinates the more flavorful. Marinate at least 8 hours but for full flavor, overnight.
- If you are on a protein-limited diet, decrease the portion to match your meal plan.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 23 g
Carbohydrates 7 g
Fat 25 g
Cholesterol 70 mg
Sodium 66 mg
Potassium 271 mg
Phosphorus 145 mg
Calcium 31 mg
Fiber 0.9 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
- 2 fat
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Carol from New Jersey.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register