- 48 vanilla wafers
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 small box lemon gelatin
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup ice
- 4 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
- 8 ounces Cool Whip® frozen dessert topping, thawed
- 1/3 cup raspberry preserves
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- Line an 8” x 8” pan with plastic wrap.
- Line bottom of pan with 16 vanilla wafers.
- Using a mixer, beat cream cheese, sugar and lemon zest together.
- Pour gelatin powder in a separate bowl and add boiling water. Stir until completely dissolved. Add ice cubes.
- When ice cubes are completely melted, gradually add gelatin and protein powder to cream cheese mixture.
- Whisk in Cool Whip and combine ingredients.
- Pour half of the mixture over the wafers, and top with another 16 vanilla wafers.
- Lightly heat raspberry preserves and brush on top of vanilla wafers with a pastry brush.
- Pour the other half of mixture on top of raspberry preserves and top with 16 remaining wafers, cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Before serving remove mousse from the pan by placing a tray on top of the pan and flipping it. Remove pan and plastic wrap.
- Cut into 12 servings and top with remaining Cool Whip and raspberries.
- Use fresh strawberries, peaches or fresh blueberries instead of raspberries if desired.
- This recipe can be made suitable for diabetes by using Splenda® granular sweetener instead of sugar, sugar-free gelatin, low-fat cream cheese and Cool Whip® Lite whipped topping. Calories are reduced to 200, carbohydrate 21 g and fat 8 g.
- For a lower protein diet omit the protein powder.
- Toni uses Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein powder® which contains 26 grams of protein per scoop. Ask your dietitian for a recommended brand if this one is unavailable.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 12 g
Carbohydrates 34 g
Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 42 mg
Sodium 157 mg
Potassium 92 mg
Phosphorus 60 mg
Calcium 44 mg
Fiber 0.2 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 1 starch
- 1 high calorie
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Toni from North Carolina.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register