Pavlova with Strawberries
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 300º F. Set egg whites out to bring to room temperature. Slice the strawberries and set aside.
- Beat egg whites with salt at high speed until soft peaks form. Add 2 cups of the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Gently fold in vinegar and 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Smooth mixture into an 8” round, ungreased cookie sheet or pizza pan. Smooth top.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Turn off oven and let shell set for 1 hour with oven door shut. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- For the whipped cream, place bowl and whisk in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Put sugar, heavy whipping cream, and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla into bowl and whip until stiff. (Can be done with a hand mixer, stand mixer, or by hand.)
- Fill Pavlova shell with whipped topping and sliced berries on top.
- When beating egg whites, start on low to medium speed until half whipped. At this point add pinch of salt or cream of tartar and increase mixer to high speed. The result is whipped whites that are more stable and take less time to whip.
- Not recommended for people with diabetes due to high carbohydrate content.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Brenda from Washington.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 60 g
Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 39 mg
Sodium 90 mg
Potassium 175 mg
Phosphorus 39 mg
Calcium 32 mg
Fiber 1.0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 meat
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
- 1 fat
- 2 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register