Halibut with Lemon Caper Sauce (low protein)
2 ounces fish, 1/4 cup sauce, 1 cup rice
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 ounces halibut steaks
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 teaspoons all-purpose white flour
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1-1/2 teaspoons capers
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- Combine 1 tablespoon lemon juice and olive oil in a large zip-lock bag. Add halibut and marinate 5 minutes.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat to medium. Place halibut in skillet and cook 3 minutes. Turn and cook 2 minutes longer, then remove fish from skillet.
- To make the sauce, melt butter in the skillet over low heat, add flour and stir. Pour chicken broth into flour mixture and continue stirring for 1 minute. Add wine, remaining lemon juice, capers and pepper. Continue to stir and cook until sauce thickens, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place halibut in skillet with sauce to reheat. Divide fish into four portions and serve over 1 cup cooked rice with 1/4-cup sauce spooned over fish.
- Substitutes for halibut include orange roughy, cod or flounder.
- Check labels on reduced-sodium chicken broth. Best choices are below 500 milligrams sodium per 1-cup serving. Acceptable brands include Health Valley®, Kitchen Basics® and Swanson® reduced sodium.
- For smooth sauce, mix flour with fat and stir constantly while adding liquids. Keep heat low and cook slowly until sauce thickens.
Submitted by: Recipe created exclusively for DaVita.com by DaVita dietitian Sara RD, CSR, CDE from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 20 g
Carbohydrates 47 g
Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 48 mg
Sodium 199 mg
Potassium 470 mg
Phosphorus 256 mg
Calcium 75 mg
Fiber .9 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 3 starch
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register