Crock-Pot® Chicken and White Bean Chili
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup carrots
- 3/4 cup celery
- 3/4 cup onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup canned white beans
- 15.5 ounces canned golden hominy (1 can)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 white pearl onions, whole
- 4.5 ounces canned diced green chilies
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Cut chicken breast in bite sized cubes. Season with black pepper and place in Crock-Pot.
- Dice carrots, celery and onion (except pearl onions). Mince garlic. Rinse and drain beans and hominy to reduce sodium.
- Add chicken broth, beans, hominy, pearl onions, diced onion, carrots, celery, garlic and green chilies to Crock-Pot.
- Season with garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, oregano and cayenne pepper.
- Cover with lid and cook on low setting for 8 hours. Serve hot.
- Adjust the amount of chicken for a lower or higher protein diet.
- This is a higher potassium dish. Check with your dietitian before trying it if you have high potassium levels or if you are on a low potassium diet.
- Omit beans for a lower potassium and phosphorus version of this recipe (555 mg potassium, 202 mg phosphorus).
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Deanna from Michigan.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 19 g
Carbohydrates 23 g
Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 41 mg
Sodium 354 mg
Potassium 608 mg
Phosphorus 232 mg
Calcium 72 mg
Fiber 3.2 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 starch
- 2 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register