- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound pork loin
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 28 ounces canned white hominy
- 4 ounces canned diced green chiles
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Cut pork into 1-inch pieces. Chop onion and garlic. Drain and rinse hominy.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and brown pork pieces for 3 to 4 minutes.
Add onion and garlic to skillet. Sauté until onion is tender.
Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes until meat is tender and flavors are mixed.
Add water if more liquid is needed to make a soup.
Serve with desired toppings such as shredded cabbage, radishes, cilantro, lime or tortilla strips.
- Count liquids in fluid allowance.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons red chili powder may be substituted for green chiles.
- *For CKD non-dialysis diets with protein restriction, decrease pork or beef in this recipe. Ask your dietitian for guidance on the amount best for your diet.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Celeste from Colorado.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 26 g
Carbohydrates 15 g
Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 63 mg
Sodium 399 mg
Potassium 346 mg
Phosphorus 182 mg
Calcium 31 mg
Fiber 3.4 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register