- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 8 cups eggplant
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Chop onion and bell pepper. Slice garlic and cut eggplant into cubes.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Sauté onion, green pepper and garlic with cayenne and black pepper.
- Add thyme and eggplant to ingredients and cook until eggplant softens, stirring often.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons bread crumbs for topping. Add the remaining breadcrumbs to eggplant and cook 15 minutes.
- Beat egg and add to mixture, stirring quickly so egg does not solidify.
- Place in casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining bread crumbs over mixture, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Two medium eggplants yield approximately 8 cups.
- Adjust cayenne pepper to your taste preference.
- Refrigerate or freeze leftover casserole for a quick dish later.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 6 g
Fat 17 g
Cholesterol 56 mg
Sodium 100 mg
Potassium 142 mg
Phosphorus 36 mg
Calcium 53 mg
Fiber 1.7 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 3 fat
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Holly from North Carolina.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register