Grilled Chicken, Asparagus and Corn
3-1/2 ounces chicken, 1/2 ear of corn, 5 asparagus spears
- CKD non-dialysis
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast (1 large or 2 medium breasts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon herb-spice mix (cumin, paprika, chili powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 asparagus spears
- 1 ear fresh corn on the cob (Colorado corn if available)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- Season chicken breast with one tablespoon olive oil, cracked black pepper, herb-spice mix and crushed red pepper flakes. Add chicken to hot spot of the grill, seasoned side down. Grill for 12 minutes.
- While chicken cooks, cut asparagus and place on the grill. Season with black pepper and drizzle with 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Grill asparagus for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Cut the ear of corn in half and drizzle with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Grill corn for 3 to 4 minutes, until slightly charred. After taking corn off the grill, add a squeeze of lemon juice and the chopped chives.
- Squeeze lemon over chicken and asparagus to taste.
- Fresh lemon juice and a little splash of olive oil is a great substitute for salt.
- After asparagus starts to char, you can push it off to a part of the grill that isn’t in direct flame.
- Cook an extra ear of corn for lunch or dinner tomorrow.
- Adjust chicken portion to match your meal plan.
- This recipe is featured in the DaVita Eats: Chef Tips video series.
Submitted by: Recipe provided by Chef Frank Bonanno from Denver, CO.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 30 g
Carbohydrates 14 g
Fat 18 g
Cholesterol 83 mg
Sodium 58 mg
Potassium 710 mg
Phosphorus 287 mg
Calcium 36 mg
Fiber 3.6 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3-1/2 meat
- 1/2 starch
- 2 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register