Rice Pudding with Cranberry Sauce
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup instant white rice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 whole raw almonds
- 1/2 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a medium saucepan combine almond milk, rice and sugar. Bring mixture to a boil over medium high heat. Stir constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 6 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs and vanilla together. Stir a small amount of the hot almond milk and rice mixture into the eggs, to temper them and keep them from curdling.
- Slowly add egg mixture into hot almond milk mixture, stirring constantly.
- Place saucepan back on low heat. Stir and cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Do not boil.
- Remove saucepan from heat and let stand for 30 minutes.
- To serve, place 1 almond in in the bottom of each bowl. Spoon rice pudding into 6 single serving bowls.
- Divide the cranberry sauce between the 6 bowls. Dust the top of the pudding with cinnamon. Serve and enjoy.
- In Scandinavian countries, rice pudding is served as a holiday treat. A single almond is hidden in the pudding, and whoever gets the almond has good luck for the next year. In this recipe we included an almond in each serving--good luck for all!
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Robin from Virginia
Nutrients per serving
Protein 5 g
Carbohydrates 32 g
Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 62 mg
Sodium 113 mg
Potassium 125 mg
Phosphorus 70 mg
Calcium 260 mg
Fiber 0.8 g
Added Sugar 9 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 milk alternative
- 1 high-calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register