- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 3 cups rice, uncooked
- 1 cup black lentils, uncooked, split without skin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Soak rice and lentils in water. Grind the lentils in a food processor or liquidizer to a smooth paste.
- Grind rice not too fine, a little coarse. Mix the two pastes and add salt. Let the batter ferment for 12-14 hours at a warm place (avoid the inside of the oven or on top of a gas stove).
- Just before cooking, add the baking soda. Steam idlis on idli moulds. Serve with sambar.
- Lentils contribute extra potassium and phosphorus, so portion must be limited to 2 rice idles.
- Sambar is a vegetable stew containing pigeon peas, tamarind, vegetables and ground spices. It is very popular in southern India.
- Serve with cilantro chutney or with a dollop of butter topped with a spoon of sugar.
Submitted by: Recipe created by the mother of DaVita dialysis patient Aditya from California and submitted by DaVita dietitian Shawna from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 7 g
Carbohydrates 35 g
Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 93 mg
Potassium 161 mg
Phosphorus 90 mg
Calcium 24 mg
Fiber 3.1 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register