Apple Fritter Rings
- CKD non-dialysis
- 4 large, tart cooking apples
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar (divided use)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- oil for deep fat frying, about 3/4 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Peel and core apples. Cut each apple into 5 rings, approximately 1/2" thick each.
In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and baking powder.
In a separate bowl combine egg, milk, almond milk and 1 teaspoon oil.
Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and stir until just blended.
In a skillet that is at least 2" deep, heat 1" of cooking oil to 375º F.
- Dip apple slices in batter one at a time. Fry in hot oil about 1-1/2 minutes until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle on fritters. Serve hot.