1/2 pita with 3 slices tempeh
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 8 ounces tempeh
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 small onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 2 pieces pita bread, 6-inch size
- 4 teaspoons mayonnaise
- Cut tempeh into 12 slices. Thinly slice onion, bell pepper and mushrooms.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil over medium heat. Add sliced tempeh and cook each side for 3 to 4 minutes until browned. Add balsamic vinegar and cook one minute; flip and cook an additional minute. Remove tempeh from skillet.
- Add remaining sesame oil to skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Cut pita in half and open to form a pocket. Spread each half with 1 teaspoon mayonnaise. Add 3 pieces tempeh and 1/4 the vegetable mixture to each pita half. Serve immediately.
- For a flavor change replace sesame oil with your favorite flavored oil.
- Tempeh made from whole soybeans mixed with rice or millet., then fermented. It has a nutty-flavor and absorbs flavors from marinades or seasonings added during cooking.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 15 g
Carbohydrates 25 g
Fat 17 g
Cholesterol 2 mg
Sodium 187 mg
Potassium 437 mg
Phosphorus 208 mg
Calcium 115 mg
Fiber 5.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 1 starch
- 1-1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 2 fat
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Sara from California.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register